Friday, March 9, 2012

Everyday Cooking: Quick Chickpea Curry

I am a huge fan of Martha Stewart's Everyday Food publications.  There is just something about that little Everyday Food magazine, as well as the Everyday Food cookbooks that appeal to me on so many levels.  I chalk it up to the gorgeous photography and family-pleasing recipes.  Of course, the overall ease of the recipes is a bonus too. 

I recently added the newest cookbook, Everyday Food Light, to my collection and couldn't be more pleased with it.  The cookbook is loaded with lots of gorgeous light food that I can't wait to try. 
After seeing so many versions of chickpea curries online lately, this recipe for Quick Chickpea Curry really appealed to me. This recipe comes together with pantry ingredients and is no fuss at all.  I added a bit more garlic than called for just because I like lots of garlic.  I also added quite a bit of black pepper to spice things up, but other than that I left the recipe as is.  I was tempted to serve it over rice, but after tasting it I enjoyed it so much I ate it all on it's own.


Quick Chickpea Curry
Slightly Adapted from Everyday Food Light
Serves 4

"Why it's light -- Because lots of Indian food entrees use high-fat ghee (clarified butter) or coconut milk as the cooking liquid, they can contain more fat and calories than you might think.  For this vegetarian curry, chickpeas and spices are simmered simply in water, yet the results are still delicious.  Serve with rice or warm whole-wheat pits, if desired."

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
4-6 garlic cloves (depending on your preference for garlic, minced)
1 tablespoon curry powder, preferably Madras
1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
pinch of ground cloves (I omitted this as I do not care for cloves)
2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed and drain
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 cups water
coarse salt and ground pepper (quite a bit of ground pepper)
chopped cilantro and lemon wedges for serving (optional)

In a large large skillet or pot, heat olive oil over medium-high.  Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until dark brown around edges, about 6 minutes.  Add garlic, curry cinnamon, and cloves (I omitted the cloves); cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds.

Add chickpeas, ketchup, and the water; season with salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 20 minutes.

Uncover and increase heat to medium-high; cook, stirring, until sauce is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.  Serve topped with cilantro, with lemon wedges alongside, if desired.

Per serving: 285 calories; 5.5g fat; 12.8g protein; 46.8 carbs; 9.7g fiber

There are so many Everyday Food recipes that I'd like to try.  I'm hoping to drag out one of my Everyday Food books or magazines once a week and cook from it, but then again, when it comes to food and recipes I have commitment issues. 

 This post is being submitted to My Legume Love Affair hosted by girlichef through March 31st.
For a host line-up visit HERE.

11 comments:

  1. I love all kinds of curries Kim and this one would be no exception. It looks so healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking curry Kim. Don't you just love the Madras brand. It's well worth searching for. Photos are extremely outstanding too.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, and dollop some yogurt on top, there... yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chickpeas in curries...and how interesting that this has ketchup in it. It looks so good, I definitely want to try it! Thanks so much for sending it over to MLLA this month :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. As long as I have chickpeas, I don't need meat. Ever. You've captured the yummy color of this dish beautifully, I need to make it asap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it...The ketchup is different...I'll have to try it. I'm making a curry for MLLA too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i remember seeing that cookbook not too long ago, now i'm wishing i'd gotten it! i am just now learning the love curry, i had an amazing dish at a thai restaurant not too long ago (actually it was my friend's dish, i had dish envy, haha!). since then, i've been a lot more drawn to curry food. i love how good this looks!

    and speaking of beautiful pictures, girl this could be in a magazine, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Chickpeas! I might be tempted to serve these over rice too. I really need to find some decent curry powder next time I go to town.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, you know I'm a sucker for a good curry, especially if it involves chickpeas and ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY if it's light! Loving this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love chickpeas and I love curry so this recipe looks right up my alley! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. But, but, but I LIKE clarified butter and/or coconut milk :)

    It still looks good, even if it is light!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.