Sunday, July 1, 2012

Salsa Baked Cheese

This summer I haven't spent as much time in the kitchen as I'd like to.  In another month or so my oldest will be going into middle school and my baby is going into Kindergarten.  I'm having a hard time thinking about all that so I've been busy spending as much time with them as possible.

In the meantime I still have that itch to get in the kitchen.  I find myself looking for recipes that are super quick and easy, but still family-pleasing and full of flavor.  This recipe for Salsa Baked Cheese fits the bill.  Rick's recipe does call for toasting some nuts first, but my son has a nut allergy so I omitted that step (making this recipe even easier).  All you really need to do is buy some goat cheese and cream cheese, let them come to room temp, mix the two cheeses, spread them onto an oven-safe dish, top with salsa and let it bake for about 15-20 minutes.  Top with cilantro or green onion and you're ready to go.  Everyone enjoyed this creamy and tangy dip.  There are only a few ingredients in this recipe, but the goat cheese really adds that special something. 


Salsa Baked Cheese
Adapted from Rick Bayless online
Serves 4-6

1/4 cup pine nuts or coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans*
1 4-ounce log goat cheese
1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 cup salsa
A tablespoon or so chopped fresh cilantro or sliced green onion,  for garnish
*I omitted the nuts because my son has a nut allergy 

Note: Take a look at your salsa before making this recipe.  If your salsa doesn't have any garlic, feel free to add some sauteed garlic to your salsa prior to baking.  This recipe is great on it's own, but I feel it would really be enhanced by a little bit of garlic.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread out the nuts on a baking sheet, set them in the oven and let toast until lightly browned and very fragrant, 7 or 8 minutes. Remove and slide off into a medium-size bowl.

Add the cheeses to the bowl and combine thoroughly with the nuts. Scoop into the center of an ovenproof baking dish and form it into a 5-inch-diameter disc. Spoon the salsa over and around the cheese, set in the oven and bake until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.

Sprinkle with the cilantro, or green onion,  and set out to enjoy as a dip or a spread on crackers, chunks of bread or toasted croutons.
Theme: Potluck

14 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. I love baked cheese and never thought to use some salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one to remember for parties when you need something no-fuss. I will be making this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a first for me. Never seen this before. Looks sinfully delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww I think it's so sweet that you've been spending extra time with your kids! Enjoy it while you can. This dip sounds so delicious. The salsa must do such a great job of cutting the richness of the cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, this looks so good! I'm a sucker for baked cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how simple and inviting this is! Perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! This one reminds me of the Tessa baked feta recipe that we loved so well. I will have to try this when I next allocate myself some cheese indulging. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are really cute and easy recipes .Perfect for summer. For more recipes check this Cook Book Reviews .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many milestones here for you, Kim. If was difficult watching as my "baby" moved on in life stages. Wow.
    Hey, I am loving the goat cheese here and this is a Bayless recipe I could get into. Nice photos too. Hope you had a great 4th of July celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh this is a great idea for the "Drunken Goat" cheese that Alexis just bought this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This would definitely break my fast from my cheese addiction! Hope you're staying cool in your neck of the woods! Smart lady to enjoy those little ones while you have them home, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these simple dishes...I have everything but the cream cheese. I can remedy that ingredient. Our family has been automatic pilot for months...I just want everything to slow down so we can get our mojo back. This dish with chips would be really nice.

    Our kids grow up so fast! Enjoy the moments.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea, Kim. Everyone in my family would love this.
    Enjoy the kids...they grow up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this kinda of simple and delicious appetizer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.