Sunday, March 30, 2014

Mini Corned Beef Pot Pies and a Donna Hay Roundup!

I love corned beef and always buy one in March so I can enjoy one or two Ruebens.  Afterwards I always use the leftovers to make some corned beef hash, which makes for an awesome Sunday breakfast.  This time around I wanted to try my hand at these Mini Corned Beef Pot Pies and wow I'm I glad I did!  These little babies are excellent! 

The recipe begins with a simple white sauce, or roux, to which you can add onion, carrot, cubes of potato, and/or peas.  I added what I had on hand, which was half an onion and about a cup of frozen peas, but I think adding potato would make these even better!  We loved these pot pies and everyone made me promise to make them again next year!


Mini Corned Beef Pot Pies
Adapted from Donna Hay website
Makes 4 individual pies

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2/3 cups chicken stock
1-1/4 cup milk
1 cup cooked corned beef, shredded or cubed
1 cup frozen peas
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 sheet puff pastry
1 egg, lightly beaten

 Notes: This recipe was created using Donna Hay's recipe for corned beef which includes a little carrot and onion.  If you'd like carrot and onion added to your pot pie then you may wish to saute one onion and one carrot in a little butter until somewhat tender and then add this to the pot pie filling.  

Preheat oven to 400F.  Melt the butter over low heat and add the flour, cook, stirring for 5-7 minutes until golden and sandy in texture.  Gradually whisk in the stock and milk, increase the heat to medium and cook about 5 minutes or until thickened.  Add the corned beef, and onion/carrot mixture*, peas, and parsley and stir to combine.  Place your ovenproof dishes (should be 4 dishes with 1 cup capacity) down on the puff pastry and cut out 4 rounds that are slightly bigger than your ovenproof dishes.  Remove the ovenproof dishes and place them onto a foil-lined baking tray. Spoon the pot pie filling into the dishes.  Place the cut puff pastry rounds over the filling.  Brush the pastry with the egg.  Decorate tops with various herbs and/or additional onions (if using).  Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden.



Our time with Donna Hay is coming to a close at I Heart Cooking Clubs.  We've cooked with many cooks/chefs over the years, but I must say that cooking with Donna has been extremely pleasant and somewhat effortless. Donna's recipes are simple, straightforward, and completely stress-free. I found myself looking forward to making her recipes and never once felt overwhelmed by the task.  I will definitely look to her recipes in the future when I am pressed for time and in the mood for fuss-free recipes.

Below are my Donna Hay favorites from the past six months in no particular order.  If you click on the recipe name you will be directed to the original post.


















9 comments:

  1. Those pies look delicious...and what a pleasant surprise to dig into one and find corned beef instead of the usual beef or chicken!

    Effortless is right - I think the most difficult part of cooking with Donna was narrowing down the choice of recipes I wanted to make to just one each week! Love your round-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Terrific dishes all around! Those salmon and chive parcels have been tempting me and the little pot pies are just perfect for using leftovers from a corned beef dinner! Great work on this chef challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious looking pie! And easy peasy too!
    Your round-up dishes, everything looks yummy! It has been a wonderful 6 months cooking from DH's recipes, and I'm sure we'll be seeing her again in our Potluck weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok...so how crazy is this? I have never had corned beef. Nope. Not once in my life!
    I had forgotten all about those salmon parcels. The lamb rolls look awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gonna be hard to leave Donna behind. Thank goodness for Pot Lucks. All of your dishes looked great these last 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You picked a great recipe to see Donna Hay out with! Total delicious comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim, these little pies have blown my mind - I never would have thought to put corned beef in a pot pie, but it's an awesome idea. Actually, corned beef is one of those foods that I hated when I was a kid, but which I've grown to enjoy as an adult. Funny that I never think to make it though - in fact it's probably 20 years (at least) since I last made it, and now you have me craving it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made some fabulous Donna Hay dishes! I still need to make those salmon-chive parcels. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to make this with my leftover brisket the next time I smoke one. It looks absolutely delicious, pinned it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.