Sunday, November 30, 2014

Sweet and Salty Bacon and Nuts

 This is the ultimate snack mix.  We're talking almonds, walnuts, and chunks of bacon coated in a sweet, salty, and spicy mixture.  Each bite is a delightful taste sensation! A crunchy lip-smacking time is sure to ensue. I had a hard time walking away from this snack mix. I found myself going back for another bite, and another, and well...you know how that story ends!

I've made a lot of spiced nuts and/or candied nuts in the past, but as far as I'm concerned this is THE RECIPE. The ratio of sweet, salty, and spicy is right on and each piece is evenly coated. There are no duds in the bowl, if you know what I mean.  Lastly, BACON...hello! Bacon makes everything better and it definitely makes this snack mix better.

If you're going to make a nut mix this holiday season then please do yourself a favor and make this one! It's my favorite by a long shot.


Sweet and Salty Bacon and Nuts
Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis
Serves 6-8

8 to 9 slices applewood-smoked bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
1 large egg white
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup raw almonds 
1 cup halved walnuts
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.  Cook the bacon over medium heat in a large skillet until brown and crisp, 8 to 9 minutes.  Remove the bacon using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Pour 1/4 cup of the bacon fat on a heavy rimmed baking sheet and spread evenly. 

Beat the egg white and salt until just foamy using a whisk in a medium bowl.  Gradually add the sugar and beat until just blended.  Add the almonds, walnuts, and cayenne pepper.  Toss until the nuts are coated. 

Spread the nut mixture in a single layer on the baking sheet.  Bake until the nuts are crisp and brown, about 35 minutes, turning and stirring the nut mixture with a metal spatula every 10 to 15 minutes (this is a very important step to ensure each nut is coated evenly with the mixture).  Cool for 2 hours.  

Transfer the nut mixture to a bowl; add the bacon pieces and toss to blend.  This recipe can be prepared 1 day ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Theme: November Potluck!

5 comments:

  1. WOW! This looks so, so, good! I could finish the whole bowl in a jiffy! Bookmarking this! My daughter is not a fan of nuts, thought she might eat it if there's bacon! Hubby is cutting down on nuts, so looks like it's all mine if I make this! LOL! Thanks for sharing, if it is a real potluck, you know where I'll be standing next to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, this mix makes me want to go back to eating bacon! ;-) I bet a bowlful at a party would be very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like it would be a huge hit at a party! (I was surprised it was a Giada recipe with all of that bacon!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously? Who would have ever thought to add bacon to a nut mix?! What an awesome idea. I bet every single mouthful is as good as you say, Kim. I'm thinking a bowlful of these might be just what we need for our Saturday evening snack treat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might have to make this after I make smoked nuts this week. They would be perfect in this dish, don't ya think?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.