Sunday, August 28, 2016

Bowtie Pasta with Corn, Fresh Herbs, and Parmesan



Just so happens that my husband's work buddy grows corn and we were lucky enough to get two dozen ears. Of course you can only eat so much corn on the cob, so I was looking for other ways to use up my bounty. This Bowtie Pasta with Corn, Fresh Herbs, and Parmesan is perfect for a quick weeknight meal and also helps me use up my corn bounty!

Kid-friendly bowtie pasta with corn, cream, cheese, a good amount of garlic, and fresh herbs is sure to be a hit at any dinner table. I made a few changes to Curtis' original recipe. I love the combination of corn and basil, so I used the rest of my fresh basil in place of thyme.  I also had some fresh corn stock on hand so I subbed the corn stock for white wine. Finally, I decided to amp up the flavor with some red pepper flakes and also added some Herbs de Provence.

The final result was quite tasty and a perfect kid-friendly meal.  Naturally the dish becomes more flavorful as time allows and is even better the next day! I would definitely make this again!

Yummy flavor base for the creamy corn sauce!
Bowtie Pasta with Corn, Thyme, and Parmesan
Adapted from What's For Dinner
by Curtis Stone
Serves 4

1 pound bowtie pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup dry white wine, or corn stock
1 spring of fresh basil
2 cups fresh corn kernels (cut from about 4 ears)
1-1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper, to taste
red pepper flakes, to taste
Herbes de Provence, to taste
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook, stirring often to prevent sticking together, for about 7 minutes, or until tender but still firm to the bite.

Meanwhile,heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, then add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for about medium high, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by three-quarters.

Add the corn and cream and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes, or until the corn is hot. Keep the sauce warm over very low heat. (The sauce may seem thin at this point, but it will thicken up when combined with the pasta.)

Scoop out and reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water and drain the pasta. Add the pasta to the corn sauce and toss to coat. Add enough of the reserved pasta water to adjust the sauce to the desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (I found that I had to add a little more salt than I usually do.)

Divide the pasta among four pasta bowls. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese, chives, and pepper and serve.

Theme: Express Meals!

5 comments:

  1. Pasta is always good for a quick and healthy meal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the combination of corn and basil too and this dish looks likes the perfect way to feature it. Your tweaks to the recipe sound delicious, especially using corn stock in place of wine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim,
    This corn pasta reminds me of the corn spaghetti that both you and Brenda (of Brenda's Canadian Kitchen) made years ago, using Rachael Ray's recipe! I've made that too. Do you still remember that one? :)
    This looks delicious and I like it that you've added pepper flakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I love corn, especially in the summer! This is such a mouthwatering pasta with all the fresh herbs and chili pepper you added to it. Well done, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goal this summer has been to eat ALL THE CORN, so I'm thinking that this pasta has to happen...and SOON.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.