Sunday, March 4, 2018

Chips, Chips, and More Chips {Apple, Kale, and Sweet Potato...oh my!}


Let there be chips of all colors! Red, Orange, and Green! Veggie chips and fruit chips. Chips for days.

I was feeling snacky, and healthy, and couldn't decide between Giada's Baked Kale and Sweet Potato Chips or her Spiced Apple Chips with Sweet Yogurt Dip, so I made both! In the process, I made friends with my mandoline, and my oven, because I spent the better part of the afternoon slicing apples and sweet potatoes into thin slices. Then I spent even more time standing guard over my thinly sliced beauties while they crisped up in the oven. It was somewhat of an endeavor, but a tasty one!

Giada's Baked Kale and Sweet Potato Chips are seasoned with a small amount of olive oil, salt, and pepper for a very simple preparation. I thought they made for a very colorful and unique snack and enjoyed both chips, but I definitely preferred the kale chips to the sweet potato chips. I love the kale's light airy texture and find them quite addictive! Both chips really satisfied that salty crunchy craving.


 Baked Kale and Sweet Potato Chips
Adapted from Giada's Feel Good Food
by Giada De Laurentiis
Serves 4

1 medium sweet potato (8 ounces)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
3 large kale leaves

Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350F.

Using a mandoline slicer or a sharp knife, slice the potato into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Put in a bowl and drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. Toss well. Arrange in a single layer (without overlapping) on parchment-lined baking sheets.

Bake for 12 minutes. Turn the slices over and continue to bake, checking every 2 minutes, until brown and crisp, 6 to 8 minutes longer. Season the chips with salt and pepper, to taste.

Remove the thick stem from the kale leaves and discard. Cut the leaves into 2- to 3-inch pieces. Put in a bowl and drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Toss well. Arrange the kale in a single layer on parchment-lined baking sheets.

Bake the kale until crisp and slightly dark on the edges, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Let the chips cool before serving. 
 

The Spiced Apple Chips with Sweet Yogurt Dip were a fun sweet treat! The apple chips were paper thin and had a very light and delicate "melt in your mouth" texture. I wasn't sure if  I would like the chips dipped into the yogurt dip, but I have to say that I enjoyed the sweet creamy yogurt with the thin crispy apple chips and found it to be a very delightful combination. It really satisfied my sweet tooth!

Making homemade chips was a somewhat lengthy process, but it was a fun one. The best part was I didn't have to feel guilty about snacking along the way! While I enjoyed all the chips, I will say the kale chips were my ultimate favorite. I can see myself making a lot of kale chips in the future. I'm already toying with the idea of making a garlic and parmesan flavored kale chip in the very soon! Yum!

Please note: Cooking and cooling times will depend on your oven and the thickness of your chips.  You will need to check your chips every so often to make sure they are not overcooking.


Spiced Apples Chips w/ Sweet Yogurt Dip
Adapted from Food Network
by Giada De Laurentiis
Serves 4

Apple Chips
1 red apple, such as Honeycrisp
1 green apple, such as Granny Smith
Vegetable cooking spray
1/4 cup sugar
 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

Sweet Yogurt Dip
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt

For the chips: Place 1 rack at the top and 1 at the bottom position and preheat the oven to 275F. Line 2 large heavy baking sheets with parchment paper. Lightly coat the parchment with nonstick spray.

For the topping: In a small bowl, stir the sugar, cinnamon, and salt until blended.

For the apple chips: Stand each apple upright. Cut 1/4 inch vertically off the right and left sides of each apple (this creates a steady surface for slicing on the mandoline and makes things much safer). Set the mandoline or v-slicer for cutting 1/16-inch-thick slices (should be paper thin and transparent). Cut slices until the apple core is exposed. Turn the apple over and cut slices off the remaining apple until the core is exposed. Arrange the apple slices in a single layer on one of the baking sheets. Repeat with the second apple. (If you're like me then all of your slices will not fit onto the baking pans. Make another batch or select only your nicest slices and eat the rest).

Using your fingertips, sprinkle the apple slices generously with the topping (I sprinkled generously but only used half the topping).  Bake until the edges curl and the chips are golden and feel crisp, 40 to 45 minutes. Pull the parchment with the apples onto the work surface and cool completely, 20 to 30 minutes (the chips will crisp more as they cool). NOTE: My chips cooked and cooled in half the time

For the dip: In a medium bowl, stir the yogurt, honey/syrup, vanilla, and salt until blended. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Serve the dip alongside the apple chips.



5 comments:

  1. Those look like really fun recipes. I will have to be brave enough to try them. I don't have a mandolin but I could use my food processor. Healthy snack indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in total fear of my mandoline after a traumatic finger slicing incident a few years ago, but you're making me wish I were braver so I could try these! I guess I can still try the kale chips, and those were your favorite anyway. Seems like a good place to start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always have fun when making chips. I like how the kale chips squeak when you bite into them. These sound like fun, especially the yogurt dip for the apple chips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These chips look amazing. I like the fact that they are baked, not fried. I have to remember these recipes when I want to make chips. Thanks for bringing them to us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, love these! A bowl of these in my hands, would disappear real quick! Yummy, crunchy, addictive, healthy snacks! Oh My indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.